March 10, 2020
Building Family Bonds during COVID-19
Due to the ongoing spread of COVID-19, families have been faced with the challenge of establishing a ‘new normal’ in their daily lives. The disruptions that families experience with the closure of schools, child care centers, workplaces, as well as many other services, can be a cause of tension and distress. Moreover, churches have suspended the public celebration of Masses and other liturgical services for the faithful.
Whatever your family situation, there is an opportunity to find grace in the midst of this crisis. Families can use this time as an invitation to focus on our relationships and on building strong family bonds.
Here are a few suggestions on how to use this time well:
- Visit your local parish: some churches are still open for private visits. Spend time as a family before Jesus in the tabernacle. He is waiting for you!
- Pray the Rosary – here’s a tutorial if you need a refresher. Try starting with just one decade and offer it for an intention important to your family. Close with Archbishop Gomez’ Prayer to Our Lady of Guadalupe (also in video form).
- Pray the Stations of the Cross – you can do this at home with a simple cross or crucifix. Use these meditations on the USCCB website or pray our Stations of the Cross for Marriages and Families.
- Meditate on the Scriptures – Consider praying with the daily Mass readings as a family.
- Celebrate and observe Sunday with a livestreamed Mass – check listings on your diocesan website or EWTN.com.
Build and Fortify Your Relationships
- Set aside time to pray with your spouse – Check out our Four Simple Steps to Pray with Your Spouse.
- Consider using extra time to enrich your marriage – several of our marriage encouragement and enrichment resources have online courses available.
- Be Kind – Pope Francis’ resolutions for couples are a great place to start.
- Write a mission statement for your family.