November 14, 2013
Pilgrimage for Reform: November 22, 2013
On November 22, the Diocese of Rockville Centre along with the Diocese of Brooklyn/Queens and the Archdiocese of New York will have a Pilgrimage and Prayer for Immigration Reform. Stay tuned for details.
In the meantime, today is the feast day of St. Frances Xavier Cabrini. She is the patron saint of immigrants. You can read more here on the Catholic Charities blog post.
Also, in honor of Mother Cabrini, Catholic Charities USA, the USCCB and Justice for Immigrants is holding a National Call-in-Day to Congress today, November 13. At any point today, call 1-855-589-5698 to record a message to your Member of Congress, encouraging them to support a path to citizenship and oppose the SAFE Act. Your message will be delivered to the office of your representative.
Finally, below are some prayer intercessions from Justice for Immigrants. Please see if your parish will be open to including these intercessions at any of the upcoming Masses.
Sample Intercessions for Immigration Reform
The following intercessions (From the Justice for Immigrants website) may be used together for a special liturgy, or particular intercessions may be chosen for use throughout the liturgical year. You can find other prayers and liturgical resources by going to this Justice for Immigrants link.
- For an end to the violence and poverty that displaces so many people from their homes and homelands, we pray to the Lord. Response: Lord hear our prayer.
- For our leaders, that they may implement policies that allow for safe migration, just migrant working conditions, and an end to the detention of asylum seekers, while protecting our national safety, we pray to the Lord. Response: Lord hear our prayer.
- For migrant workers, that they may labor in safe and justice conditions, and that we who benefit from their labor may be truly grateful for what they provide, we pray to the Lord. Response: Lord hear our prayer.
- For unaccompanied migrant children, that they may be protected from all harm and reunited with loving families, we pray to the Lord. Response: Lord hear our prayer
- For an end to human trafficking, that the dignity of all of God’s children will be protected, we pray to the Lord. Response: Lord hear our prayer.
- For migrants, refugees, and strangers in our midst, that they may find hope in our concern for justice and feel the warmth of our love, we pray to the Lord. Response: Lord hear our prayer.
- For our community, gathered here today to celebrate our unity under the Lord and his mother, Mary, that we may come to greater understanding and acceptance of our differences, we pray to the Lord. Response: Lord hear our prayer
- For all those who are overwhelmed by loneliness, poverty, and despair, that they may be comforted through our help and kindness, we pray to the Lord. Response: Lord hear our prayer.
For those in special need, that the Lord in his divine mercy may heal the sick, comfort the dying, and keep travelers safe, we pray to the Lord. Response: Lord hear our prayer.